Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Healthy Eats

Like just about everyone else in the world my family is working hard to eat healthy in 2014. We have decided to be followers and do what everyone else is doing, paleo/primal. Let me tell you, I have tried a lot of different diets and this is hands down my favorite! I am actually refusing to call it a diet because it is the way I want to eat forever and ever amen. I love it because it is great, fantastic, delicious food, it is super healthy and M (my 6 year old boy who becomes suspicious about green food items) is happy eating this way (thus proving my previous statement about the tastiness of this food).
The basic idea is to eat clean food (you know the stuff the doesn't have all the fancy chemicals in it), limited to no sugar and to get your carbs from fruit and veggies instead of noodles and bread and other wonderful foods.
I have found one dish that is absolutely ridiculously easy to make and is very good... Asian cauliflower fried rice. I know, I know, it sounds fishy, awful even for those who are not cauliflower fans. You need to trust me on this! This tasty dish is the brainchild of Michelle Tam at Nom Nom Paleo. (One of my favorite paleo websites). I have prepared it for a Bible study group, my family and my parents. Every person who has eaten it has enjoyed (truth people, truth!).
So how do you make this wonderful food, well let me just tell you. (You can also go to nomnompaleo.com and get the original).

What you need:
1 head of cauliflower
1 onion
assortment of veggies
bacon (optional)
egg (optional)
fish sauce (optional)
soy sauce/aminos (optional)

Put your cauliflower in a food processor, chop it up, grate it or whatever works for you. Get it to look like little bits of rice (not mush!).
Cook onion in oil or butter until translucent. (If your assorted veggies are cut into large chunks now would be the time to put them in the pan).
Add cauliflower to pan, give it a good stir, and cover with lid for about 5 minutes (until cauliflower is soft but not mushy).
Whala! Super easy! Super good!

(I know I didn't include some of the ingredients in my explanation. You can make this with as many or as few ingredients as you want. The bacon  and egg would need to be cooked prior to adding it to the cauliflower. The sauces should be added to taste.)
I am a major fan of rice and this dish has become a very satisfactory replacement for me.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your Thoughts?

Sharing is Caring